Today, I have updated my Gentoo box. The only problem I faced was broken Network Manager applet (nm-applet):
- no connections are shown at all;
- often, nm-applet is not present in the notification area;
- wired connection is established but WiFi is not even if I remove my patch cord.
I saw errors very close to http://forum.fedoraonline.it/viewtopic.php?id=18285:
$ nm-applet ** (nm-applet:4022): WARNING **: Could not initialize NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: Method "GetAll" with signature "s" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist ** Message: applet now removed from the notification area ** Message: applet now embedded in the notification area ** (nm-applet:4022): WARNING **: fetch_connections_done: error fetching connections: (19) Method "ListConnections" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Settings" doesn't exist ** (nm-applet:4022): WARNING **: Failed to register as an agent: (19) Method "Register" with signature "s" on interface "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.AgentManager" doesn't exist
Solution that was proposed on the forum (just downgrade) definitely didn’t worked for me:
- I do not like downgrades, I like to resolve the problems and submit bugfixes;
- there were no version to downgrade: I used net-misc/networkmanager and gnome-extra/nm-applet 0.9.6.4.
I tried to unmask, build and install newer unstable versions, but it didn’t help. I saw complains like:
** (nm-applet:26726): WARNING **: Could not initialize NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: Rejected send message, 2 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.20" (uid=1000 pid=26726 comm="nm-applet ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="GetAll" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" (uid=0 pid=486 comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager ")
and finally, trying to connect to hidden WiFi network: “(32) Not authorized to control networking.”
I have read that this can be caused by incorrect
polkit settings. Running
/usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1, I saw a complain on missing
/usr/lib/systemd/system/console-kit-daemon.service – and that was something since
consolekit had been updated from 0.4.5_p20120320-r1 to 0.4.6 and the file was really removed to avoid collisions with
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ConsoleKit strongly recommended to get rid of
consolekit and switch to
systemd-logind. So, I added “systemd -consolekit” to my
/etc/portage/make.conf and updated all packages according to useflag changes. Finally, I returned to stable 0.9.6.4 Network Manager daemon and applet. Also, I updated xfce-base/xfce4-session to 4.10.1 since it supports systemd.
That worked magically: everything is ok as it was before!